Bradpole is an old village joined to Bridport by housing and an industrial estate on its southern side. It once had a railway station which fell to the Beeching axe, now only an old level-crossing still exists. It is home to a variety of people having a generally younger population than the rest of Bridport. The River Asker with its fish and variety of bird life, including Kingfishers, meanders along one edge.
Holy Trinity Church, Bradpole was built during the Victorian era (1845 – 1846) and has an interesting spire which was added in 1863 and some beautiful stained glass windows. It stands on a rise in the centre of the village, and a glimpse of the sea at West Bay, some two miles to the south, can be gained from the churchyard which is still in use as a burial ground. It has a pipe organ enthusiastically played by our excellent organists. There is also a music group and formal and informal choirs.
There is a range of Sunday and mid-week services suitable for everyone, for example – on the first and third Sunday mornings there is an informal Morning Worship service using PowerPoint in which the music group takes part, on the second, fourth and fifth Sunday mornings a more traditional Holy Communion service is held. ‘Tuesdays Together’ is a communion service in the afternoon on the first Tuesday in the month, which is followed by tea, coffee and fellowship. There are three mid-week fellowship groups meeting in homes, together with an active Mothers’ Union which meets monthly. There is a strong and enthusiastic bell ringing team, and a twice monthly luncheon club for older people held in a local pub. The church has a number of Lay Pastoral Assistants who take communion to those who worship at home, they also provide a listening ear for the recently bereaved. There is a mid-week children’s club, meeting in the Village Hall on Tuesdays, and ‘Tots@Ten’ for children under five, and their parents and carers, which meets in the church on Wednesdays for coffee and fun. On the third Sunday of the month ‘Bradpole Brunch’ meets in the Village Hall at 11.30 for bacon rolls, tea and coffee, children have craft activities and there is a short bible story at the end.
In October 2013 the church reopened after a period of refurbishment. The old, dark pews were removed, a dais built and new underfloor heating installed. Along with video display screens for worship the overall effect is of new space and light and readiness for contemporary worship! In the summer of 2018 the church steeple was re-tiled with new wooden shingles.
News of current activities are shown on our Facebook Open Group page:
The ministry team is led by Revd. Janis Moore, Mission Partner and Coral Hatton and Phil Doughty as Local Licensed Ministers. The laity are ably led by Churchwardens Lyn Roe and John Adams.